How to find my skin type?
There is an easy way to find your skin type.
1) Wash your face and pat it dry;
2) Take a few pieces of rice paper or lens-cleaning tissue paper and press on different spots on your face;
3) If your skin is oily, the paper will stick, pick up oily spots and become translucent;
4) If the paper doesn't stick or pick up any oily spots, your skin is dry;
5) If it sticks in your t-zone (forehead, nose and chin) then you have combination or normal skin.
Skin Type: Dry/Normal to Dry
Do I have dry skin?
- If your skin feels rough, itchy and tight after cleansing;
- You have a tendency towards fine lines;
- You look scaly, flaky and unable to smooth out foundation on the skin.
Then, you should consider yourself having a dry skin.
Causes of dry skin
- Environmental factors such as sun exposure, wind, cold, or low humidity, heating system can causes the dryness of the skin;
- Dry skin could be due to a genetic condition;
- Poor diet can also cause dry skin, especially deficiencies of Vitamin A and B Complex;
- In general, skin tends to become dryer with age.
How to take care of dry skin?
- Drink eight or more glasses of water everyday to keep you well hydrated. Fruits and vegetables are also the basic elements for your healthy skin. Several studies show that omega 3 fatty acids in fish oils can help reduce inflammation and scaly skin;
- Add humidity in your home or workplace can make a difference;
- Limit to sun exposure, wind or extreme cold when having outdoor activity;
- Avoid hot showers and long soaks in the tub. “Lukewarm” water is best for your skin;
- Wash your face no more than twice a day with mild cleanser formulated for dry skin;
- Apply effective products day and night. Apply moisturizer with SPF 15 or greater in the daytime to protect your skin from sun damage. Apply dry skin formulated skin product at night to repair the dry skin.
Effective ingredients for dry skin
Look for ingredients such as Coenzyme Q10, Vitamin E, Peptide, Shea Butter, Glycerin, Lanolin, Hydroxy Acids, Petrolatum, Urea and Lactic Acids (Binders), Silicone Derivatives (Barriers), Chamomile, Aloe and Cornmea.
Avoid ingredients such as Acetone, Alcohol, Benzoyl Peroxide, Camphor, Citrus Juices, Eucalyptus, Menthol, Mints, and Salicylic Acid.
If you want to choose mild skin care products for dry skin, you may consider following series:
- Kose Medicated Sekkisei Excellent Series;
- Kose Supreme Sekkisei Lotion II, Emulsion II and Night Cream II;
- SK-II Facial Treatment Essence and Signs Nourishing Cream;
- Kose Moisture Skin Repair Series;
- Kose Astulation Series;
- Shiseido Benefiance Series;
- Juice Beauty Green Apple Nutrient Moisturizer, Juice Beauty Green Apple Hydration Mask;
- Komenuka Bijin Moisture Cream Silver;
- Sofina Beaute Lotion III and Emulsion III;
- Yu-Be Moisturizing Skin Care Cream