What is acne?
Acne commonly occurs due to the overproduction of oil by the oil glands of the skin. The oil that normally lubricates the skin gets trapped in blocked oil ducts and results in pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads on the surface of skin. Sometimes it also leads to deeper skin lesions called cysts.
- Pimples are small skin bumps that sometimes contain pus;
- Blackheads are dark formations on the skin due to an accumulated mixture of oil and cells in a blocked skin pore;
- Whiteheads are white-colored bumps due to skin pore blockage;
- Cysts are closed sacs underneath the skin that contain fluid or semisolid substances.
What causes acne?
- Hormones change is a common factor causing acne. It causes the sebaceous glands to enlarge and make more sebum;
- Heredity and genetics are two common factors causing acne;
Researchers believe that the tendency for acne skin is inherited from parents;
- Some medications, such as lithium, androgens, and barbiturates, are known to cause acne;
- Cosmetics that contain chemicals and oils tend to block the oil glands of the skin that lead to acne skin;
- Environmental irritants, such as pollution, weather and high humidity can cause acne;
- If you break out more during the summer, then you have to be aware of the heat and humidity that cause the break out;
- High stress and lack of sleep also lead to acne skin;
- Squeezing, pinching or picking at blemishes, or hard scrubbing the skin can make acne worse.
How to take care of acne skin?
- Choose cleansers specially formulated for acne. These products often contain salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide, which can help to clear acne sores;
- Clean your face gently. Rubbing your skin may worsen the acne or cause scarring. Wash your face by hands instead of tough scrubbing material as it may worsen the acne;
- Use only light, non-comedogenic cosmetics, which do not worsen acne. Oil-free cosmetics that contain anti-bacterial agents for acne-prone skin is another good option for acne skin. - Avoid squeezing, pinching or picking at blemishes, as it can make acne worse;
- Limit to sun exposure, wind or extreme hot or cold when having outdoor activity, and always wear UVA/UVB protection to protect your skin from sun damage.
Effective ingredients for acne skin
Look for ingredients such as Hydroxy Acids, Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic Acid, Sulfer, Resorcinol, Isotretinoin, Tea Tree Oil. Avoid ingredients such as Lanolin, Isopropyl Myristate, Mineral Oils, Sesame Oil, Petroleum, Isoparaffin C9-11, Cocoa butter, Oleic Acid, Decyl oleate, Butyl Stearate, Isostearic Acid, and Petroleum-based oils.
If you want to choose mild skin care products for acne, you may consider the following products:
- Kose Seikisho Series;
- Kose Medicated Junkisui Series;
- Sofina Pore Zone Care;
- Sofina HADA-KA series;
- Juice Beauty Cleansing Gel, Exfoliating Cleanser, Blemish Clearing Serum, Blemish Be Gone, Oil Free Moisturizer, Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel - Sensitive, Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel - Full Strength;
- Apivita Deep Face Scrub w/ Olive for combination/oily skin;
- Apivita Deep Cleansing Face Mask w/ Green Argile for combination/oily skin